City Church of San Francisco

Weekly sermons of the pastoral staff at City Church San Francisco. City Church of San Francisco is a worshiping community that seeks to be the very presence of Christ in word, deed, and lifestyle – through many people in multiple ministries doing one thing – following Christ in mission to a beautiful and broken city, and through the city, the world.

Sunday, October 23, 2005

The Fruit of the Spirit: Self Control

Scripture – Proverbs 25:28; Ephesians 2:1-3; 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 (NIV)

28
Like a city whose walls are broken down is a man who lacks self-control.

1
As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, 2in which you used to live when you followed
the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who
are disobedient. 3All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature
and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath.

24
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to
get the prize.
25Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not
last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly;
I do not fight like a man beating the air. 27No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have
preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home